Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Silverlake Lounge: Local Natives

A friend suggested checking out Local Natives over at Silverlake Lounge. They are the residency band for February ‘09. My friend unfortunately had to cancel, but I decided to head on over anyways. First off, however, I had to watch the new episode of ”24” at home (which admittedly seems totally off topic). I wanted to catch the second band Dusty Rhodes and the River Band, as well, but I figured since they were the 10 p.m. band it meant they wouldn’t go on stage until 10:30 p.m. and so I could watch “24” without worries. I arrived at the Silverlake Lounge at around 10:20 p.m. and Dusty Rhodes was already on stage. Interesting. It seemed that the bands were playing on schedule Monday night, which I haven’t experienced in the past at Silverlake Lounge. Anyways, the place was packed. I did attempt to slowly make my way closer to the stage during Dusty Rhodes’ set, but I never made it more than halfway up. (So no photo evidence.) They’re a band in the folk-rock vain. From what I could tell one of the lead singers bounced around a lot. I enjoyed the music, the little I heard of it -- I think I probably caught half their set.

After they finished their set, there was this crowd shift of people heading away from the stage. I knew it was crowded, but for awhile there I was
wondering how many people were actually packed inside the bar. There was this organized stream of people moving away from the stage while another stream moved towards the stage. It almost felt like an orchestrated agreement between people at the front and those in the rear: we were up front for Dustry Rhodes and now we’ll move to the back so that you all in the back can now see Local Natives up close.

I headed up front.

While upfront I over-heard some conversations. After I got into Silverlake Lounge a line apparently formed outside. One young lady complained about being stuck outside for 20 minutes. Another woman was talking about how she booked bands at various locations.

Local Natives started their set at 11 p.m. on the dot. Once again, I couldn’t help but find this interesting since the last few times I’d gone to Silverlake Lounge, the bands always started 30 minutes late. Of course, the last time I was at Silverlake Lounge was back in September so maybe the world has changed in five months.

This, of course, was the first time I’d seen Local Natives. I had no clue what to expect. All I knew was that my friend suggested that we check out this band. Considering Dusty Rhodes, I was rather sure that Local Natives
wasn’t a punk band or heavy metal band. They are a six piece band, though their myspace page seems to indicate a five piece band. An additional face is their violinist. Here are my thoughts on this band. Awesome folk-rock. Midway through the set I could not help but think the following: there is a transition point between jazz and rock, and Local Natives fits right at that transition point. I love how for one song two of the band members switched instruments. (I haven’t written a review of Whispertown2000, but this band also rotates instruments – actually more so than Local Natives.) There was a row of young beautiful people right in front of the band, two of them were singing along during much of the set. On occasion, this band goes wild, not wild in a crazy antics way, but wild in the sense that they suddenly get this momentary jam session feel where everyone is having the time of their lives. The band invited up a couple guest musicians. The violinist from Dusty Rhodes came up for a dueling violinist battle. They also invited up a percussionist who took up double duties on the drum set. I was standing a little too close to the side of the stage at times and was worried that the bass player was going to give me a black eye. When I had that feeling, I would back up just a bit. I am an analytical person. Towards the end of the set something dawned on me. This band was situation in a triangle shape. Three band members up front, two in the middle and the drummer in the back.

With that, I left and walked through the cold night air. It was seriously cold. I just had to mention that. Cold for Los Angeles, of course.

No comments: