Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Dre Day Celebration at Blue Star Cafe

It was the Third Annual Dre Day Celebration at the Blue Star Cafe. The Blue Star café resides right next to a scrap metal business. I’ve gone to the Blue Star a handful of times; however, I’m not sure how well known this location is so I’ll provide some details. The Blue Star is off the 10 freeway. It is located at 2200 East 15th Street. This location is actually just north of the city of Vernon. I’ve never eaten at this location, but a nice review can be found at the Los Angeles Times website. It is a small sized café with a nice patio area (I believe the patio area is larger than the dining area of the café). The patio area is used for the shows. During the shows, they actually provide free hamburgers (though a donation is requested.)

The first band up for the night was Stab City. They did a trio of Dre covers. Interesting note is that the drummer led out in the cover songs. Perhaps the three of them decided that he was the best rapper of the group? For the night, in honor of Dre, they called themselves 187. After the covers, they did a handful of their own songs, the drummer back doing backup vocals. The drummer had the words Deez Nuts felt penned across his stomach. The bass player had a Mario Brothers t-shirt on.

After their set finished, there was the night’s contest, which was who-could-finish-two-forties-the-quickest. Personally, I don’t think I even drink forty ounces of water a day so drinking two forties seemed like a challenge. There were two contestants, one new while another was a repeat. The 2008 winner declined to defend his title so the repeat was the loser from last year. He was challenged by a young lady. Her friends yelled out for her not to do it, but she went for it anyways. Joe Dana, who was the master of ceremonies, insisted on knowing that each of the contestants had a ride home. The two forties were then duck taped to each hand (which meant they better have used the bathroom before hand). Meanwhile, Horace Weintraub was setting up. 3-D glasses were passed out. They were the 3-D glasses used for the Super Bowl’s Monsters versus Aliens commercial. It was yelled out that Horace Weintraub would be in 3-D. Actually, I think I only saw one person wearing them during the set. Horace Weintraub is a three piece band. Two vocalists with an electronica keyboardist and flashing lights. Back to the drinking contest, the young lady finished her first forty and the duck tape was taken off her right hand. The two time competitor of this event was taking a different course of action. He was drinking out of both bottles. So at this point, it was about even.

During the Horace Weintraub set, I attempted to photograph the young lady in the band (I took a handful of photos of her, but this is in regards to one specific shot attempt). She actually gave a rather sexy pose, but just as I was about to shoot the photo a friend of hers interfered with my shot by sticking out her right arm. Oh well, photo ruined. The singer gave me a shrug and on they went. Later, a couple other young ladies went on stage (one being the arm lady) and they dance and sang to the music. Phrase used during the set: don’t say a word, don’t say a word.

As the set came to an end, the two drinking contestants were finishing up their drinks. At this point, the guy had pulled ahead. He didn’t have a significant lead, but a lead large enough that unless the young lady did a quick chug, she wasn’t going to win. I think by this point she was tapped out. I noticed her taking a long swag and when she finished she looked at the remaining bottle and appeared disappointed that she had consumed so little. The winner was rewarded with a Gangsta Rap Coloring Book. The loser was also given an award, but she had disappeared. I was informed later that she was found sprawled out drunk on a chair.

As for the two first bands, this definitely wasn’t a time for any PC-individuals to show up. The N-word was tossed around like grenades in Iraq. (Is that previous sentence a bit of an un-PC thing to write?) Anyways, all in context of the night as this was a Dre Day Celebration.

The third band up was Pu$$y Cow. They were the most gangsta-fashioned group. A mosh pit formed almost immediately. Joe Dana felt like joining in, so he yelled out, “I’m jumping in right there. I’m just telling you in advance. I’m coming through right there.” He pushed through the mosh pit, joining in the fun. The mosh pit eventually was pushed to the side to make room for a small dance floor, which was used extensively by a couple guys who designated it as their two man gang territory. Some interesting notes: At one point, it looked like every single person had a camera out and was photographing Pu$$y Cow. During one Dre cover song, Chissum decided to change the words of a rap, adding some comments about Disneyland. A comment was made by Joe Dana about never getting through a set without knocking over his beer, which would be very disappointing this night because he had a 40. The 40 did survive somehow.

The final group of the night was Old Man Markley. This is a 9 piece band. That’s right, 9 piece. They’re in the Southern blue’s mode. What I found so fascinating about this band was the various instruments they used. You have a washboard. You have a banjo – which reminds me so much of summer camp. You have a mandolin. You have a bass functional via a metal bathtub. You have an autoharp. A harmonica. And finally a fiddle – another one of those summer camp musical instruments. This is definitely a unique band. I was on one end of the stage and over-heard a young lady saying, “Isn’t this band just awesome?” “What’s the name of this band,” her friend asked. “Old Man Markley.” They would have continued with a few more songs, but I guess one of their band mates needed to take off. Too bad.

Total side note: You ever find yourself feeling very clumsy. Well, during the day I found myself running into things. I turned around in the parking lot and smacked right into the side mirror of a Lexus. I was at a friend’s house and ran into his coffee table. I also stepped back and ran into his dog. It actually started on Friday afternoon, when I fell down a couple steps at the Santa Anita Race Track – a brief blog on my time at the race track was posted earlier though the part regarding the fall was left out. Anyways, while at the Blue Star I found myself being very careful around the speakers. A couple of times I found myself near the speakers and made a mental note to be careful around them. No need getting the Dre Gangsta Crew mad at me for ending a night way too early -- a reality based Southwest commercial.
P.S. It is a grand time in Los Angeles when at the beginnig of the week you can hang out at the Silverlake Lounge watching folk-rock bands like Local Natives and end the week at a Dre Day Celebration.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great review - i did try to change the N bomb to the name, "chissum" throughout the night but it only worked part of the time. glad you had fun - joe dana

Notes from Vivace said...

I was actually going to add to my blog that Pu$$y Cow appeared to by-pass the N-word or didn't use it as much as the first two bands. But then as I was about to post, I was thinking back through the night and wasn't really sure so I deleted that comment. I guess I should have left it in as your comment validates my initial write-up. It was a fun night! Notes from Vivace