Sunday, February 1, 2009

Pittsburgh Steelers win the Super Bowl: Number 6!!!

First off: Out here in Los Angeles, the vast majority supported Arizona. I was invited to three Super Bowl parties. All three had this pro-Arizona bent. And yet, there was a no talk, but on display Steeler Nation minority. What does this mean? Walking through the Farmers Market and shopping at Trader Joe’s this morning, I saw a handful of individuals wearing Steelers apparel. At the party I decided to attend, out of 25 people I think there were maybe 4 Steelers fans. I say maybe, because there was a group of teenagers who cheered for every big play made by both teams – especially by Larry Fitzgerald. I have to admit that being fair, Larry Fitzgerald had a great 4th quarter. That guy is amazing. I think I was able to figure out eventually that two of the teenagers were for the Steelers and the rest were for Arizona. I think the reason for the pro-Arizona bias out here in Los Angeles wasn’t so much because Arizona is the West Coast team, but because they were the underdog. But how could such a large majority of NFL fans want a 9-7 team to win it all? On the other hand, it looked like Tampa was filled with Steelers fans.

Second off: NBC polled its experts, commentators, whatever you want to call them and it came out 5-5. Five saying the Steelers would win, five saying the Cardinals. I couldn’t help but believe this was by design, like some producer said that this needed to be the outcome.

Game itself, first score. That official reversed touchdown stunk, because the Steelers scored again when Gary Russell scored a touchdown. A 14-0 lead was instead 10-0.

Interesting note about the second score: In real time, I couldn’t even tell Gary Russell got into the touchdown. When there was a replay, it was obvious, but in real time I couldn’t even tell where Gary Russell was in the picture.

The James Harrison touchdown was just amazing. A 100 yard interception return!!! I was thinking during his run back, “There’s 13 seconds left in the half and maybe James Harrison will get to the 30 and they’ll go for a long field goal.” But no, he went all the way. He was exhausted afterwards. I don’t know if his lying on his back after the touchdown was for dramatic purposes, but when he got back to the bench he was on oxygen.

Into the 2nd half, three personal fouls on one drive by the Cardinals and the Steelers can only make a field goal? That Cardinals defense held strong. I was feeling good though, I figured this game was over, but then the Cardinals came back and soon it was 20-16 after a safety. Then the Cardinals made it 23-20 with a great Fitzgerald touchdown. Here’s the thing about the Cardinals score with 2:47 left: Pittsburgh could take their time to score a field goal or a touchdown. If I recall correctly, against Jacksonville last year in the playoffs, Jacksonville scored in the closing minutes and the Steelers didn’t have enough time to make it down the field.

The last drive. One thing I didn’t fully get. So the Steelers were called for holding. Ben Roethlisberger threw to Santonio Holmes for 14 yards. The Steelers than tried to get a play off before the 2 minute warning. I don’t get this rushed play unless it was an attempt to catch the Cardinals off guard. Initially, I thought perhaps the Steelers had gotten the first down and that was why they were rushing, but they hadn’t. Rushing that type of play seemed like it was something that could have fallen apart on them – like an unneeded sack. Another thing I didn’t get was when Santonio Holmes got down to the six yard line he started to showboat a little. I’m thinking, come on, there is only 49 seconds left, give the ball to the ref. And that touchdown pass? Initially, I said, “It is going to get over-turned, no way he got that ball for a touchdown.” After the replays, I said, “That’s a touchdown.” Hey, those were all nerves, of course.

The last drive redo: I have to admit to being pessimistic. I thought, “This game is over. The Cardinals are playing great defense, how will the Steelers make it down the field.” I have to admit to being optimistic. Ben Roethlisberger has this way of winning the game at the end. I remember that Baltimore game during the regular season. So did Coach Mike Tomlin who mentioned that game at least twice in his post-game interview.

Arizona’s last drive. I wasn’t relaxed. Kurt Warner was shredding the Pittsburgh defense.

The Steelers defense. It did get shredded by Warner and Fitzgerald. The Cardinals got 407 yards against the Steelers. That says a lot about Warner and Fitzgerald.

So it is time to bask in the glory of a Steelers’ victory for the next two weeks or so and then it is back to life as I know it.

Thinking ahead a little:

Next year: I think the Steelers need to make sure they draft or find in free agency a couple good offensive line guys. If they don’t, there is a chance Roethlisberger won’t make it through next season. I wonder about who the backup quarterback will be – obviously Byron Leftwich will attempt to find a starting job elsewhere and I’m not sure about the condition of Charlie Batch. They probably need a new punter. I think over-all though they don’t need to make too many other changes.

Potential challenges from AFC teams next year. I think San Diego will play better than an 8-8 team. New England will be a top team with Tom Brady’s return. Hopefully, Brady returns. I know that might not be a good thing to wish for as a Steelers’ fan, but as a fan of the NFL I think one has to hope he returns. I’m not so sure about Baltimore. Part of me thinks that Flacco will suffer a sophomore jinx. Indianapolis is going through a coaching transition so I wonder how that will work out. I can’t help but wonder if Tennessee is a one year wonder. Kerry Collins will be 37 next season (Kurt Warner is 37 currently, but I don’t consider Kerry Collins as an equivalent to Kurt Warner). I also wonder how good Miami will be next year. Chad Pennington is injury prone. Take it all into consideration; it will be tough to make it into the AFC playoffs.

Hopefully, the Steelers don’t end up with the toughest schedule next year, as well. They shouldn’t as they won’t have the need to play the NFC East next year.


Side note: The Transformers commercial got the biggest response from the teenagers. A possible indication that this will be a big movie this coming summer.

No comments: