Sunday, February 15, 2009

Post Valentine's Blog: Rob Z night at El Cid

El Cid. We’ve all heard of El Cid, right? That’s where I was Wednesday night. It was a Rob Z night, Valentines from Venus: A Tribute to Women. It was one of those nights where it seemed that half of the people there knew each other, providing an interesting vibe to the night.

Chop Chop. They had a fill-in drummer who used an electronic drum set. Chop Chop has a low key sound to it, which made it interesting that the bass player wore a Metallica t-shirt. The bass player has a nice follow through while striking notes, it seemed like he was playing the bass like a piano. The lead singer has a nice voice. The lead singer apologized once or twice to her band mates for messing up a song and gave a pleasant laugh a number of times. I suspect this band has loads of fun during their practice sessions. I can’t help but think that at times they break out in laughter during their sessions.

Resonant Heads was up next. Sometimes you look at the band list for the night and recognize a specific band name, but can’t recall if you’ve seen that band before. This is how I felt regarding Resonant Heads. Once they were on stage, I did remember seeing this band before though I believe they had a different line-up at the time. I can’t recall when I saw them, but I believe it was at El Cid a couple years ago. The drummer is from this band called Virginia City Revival -- I’m not sure if this is still an active band or not. The lead singer was the same. There was also a fill-in for this band, as well, like with Chop Chop. Unlike for Chop Chop, I believe the person missing is missing for good and Resonant Heads is looking for a new band member. This is just speculation. I overheard a conversation, which seemed to imply that the missing individual had left the band for good. I could be wrong.

The final band was Vagina Revenge or better known as Bleeding Livers. This is a band that Rob Z fronts. It is actually a band comprised of members from two other bands. It is an all male band. Three of the guys were dressed in drag while the drummer was not. Hmm. The drummer did have a barrette in his hair. Mike on guitar actually looked sort of like Elaine Benes from Seinfeld. Interesting. Their set comprised of various songs from female musicians.



P.S. I guess El Cid changed management recently so it'll be interesting to see what changes occur.

No comments: