Monday, February 9, 2009

Meltdown Comics: LA Myth 2009

I went to Meltdown Comics at 7522 Sunset Blvd on Saturday evening. I attended the opening night for LA Myth 2009. The show runs until 24 February 2009. This isn’t a show I would have found on my own. I didn’t have any plans for Saturday evening so I asked a friend if she was planning on doing anything. She invited me to come to this art exhibit. The following are some quotes from the press release: Mythic Creations, Urban legions and Twisted Visions, A Group show of Industry Artists . . . Group Art show! Styles ranging from cartoony to photo real using a broad range of mediums. Styles ranging from original paintings, sculpture, plushies and prints! . . . A giant squid eats buses on the 405, Dead celebrities haunt local coffee shops, Giant robots walk their labradoodles on Rodeo drive, a world never imagined will be reviled to you. Over 50 industry artists gather together to share their, Mysterious Creations, Urban legions and tweaked Visions of LA Mythology.

Paintings had titles such as “Smog Frog,” “Cannibal Crackers 1,” “Wolfman Crosses the Line,” “Taco Truck of Terror,” and “The Smog Monster.” It being at a comic store and with title names such as this, you can image the art. Wacky, cartoonist, absurd.

Over-all, I enjoyed the night out. The art was interesting. I met one of the artists: Jeff Victor (“The Smog Monster”). I hung out with a couple friends.

The exhibit for a couple hours there was packed with people. It slowly cleared out around 10 p.m. I hung out there a couple hours as my friend knew some people there.

I’ve never gotten into comic books so I’d never heard of Meltdown Comics. It is a large store filled with comic books, figures, t-shirts. If you’re into comics, you’ve probably heard of this place already. If you are into comics and haven’t checked this place out, well, you better. I suspect it is heaven for comic book lovers.

I didn’t bring a camera so I can’t post any photos of the artwork, but click here and you’ll get a large sample of the artwork – larger than if I’d posted some of my photos of the event.

No comments: