Thursday, February 26, 2009

IO Echo @ the Roxy

General

IO Echo @ the The Roxy. The previous band encouraged the audience to come up to the front of the stage at least three different times. There was no need for IO Echo to do the same as the audience was up front from the beginning. Unlike my last visit at The Echoplex, it didn’t take me awhile to get into their set. From the start, I was rather into the music. (Note: in my blog regarding to Echoplex set, I’d mentioned that a longer format of the blog would appear on a webzine at some point. Well, it should be up rather soon.) I love the song “Addicted.” It has that great opening beat, with IO’s syncopated vocals. I am; however, most fascinated with the song “I am on Fire.” I love how the song has an old-fashion creepy nightmare edge for a minute and then just explodes with a screaming rant, “I’m on Fire.” I can’t help it, this song is fascinating. It is a day later and the “I’m on Fire” scream is stuck in my head.

Some comments made during the show

“We’re going on tour with
OK Go, we’re returning April 4th with a show with Autolux – in San Diego. We can all take a road trip down there.”

“Can you turn down the lights, we’re a moody group.”

“Thank you.”

Some notes from the night

For a band that calls itself moody, lead singer IO smiles a lot. She smiles at the end of certain songs. I think when she realizes that her group just gave a great performance of a specific song, she can’t help but crack a smile.

There were a couple moments where IO picked up her music stand like a princess warrior, carrying it around like a spear in search of music demons.

Funny Face. Audrey Hepburn. Interpretative dance in Paris. That’s what popped into my head while watching IO dancing around the stage. When watching bands, I occasionally start spacing out with a thought, “What does this band remind me of?” Well, Audrey Hepburn and the Paris bar in Funny Face popped into my mind. There were moments during musical bridges that IO was just dancing around in mindless fun and one couldn’t help but want to join her on stage, bouncing around with her.

There was a group of individuals dancing in the middle of the Roxy floor.

It was rather funny seeing IO crawling underneath the legs of the guitarist.

Rant on the Roxy

P.S. I must say this: what’s up with the Roxy’s pricing? On their website it said $10 for admission, but when I got to the box office it was noted at $11.50. Why advertise $10 and then jump it up $1.50? Sorry, that is just unnecessary. And who decided pricing in $0.50 increments for a music venue? Why not go with $11 or $12?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Io Echo is by far one of the most exciting bands out of California right now. I'm on Fire is ace.