Monday, February 16, 2009

Movie Review: Underwater: Rise of the Lycans

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans. I didn’t know what to expect from this movie. I loved the first Underworld. I was so-so on the second. I must say I enjoyed this movie. Perhaps part of it was driven by the fact that after seeing movies like Doubt and Gran Torino it was time to see a non-serious movie. Is this the best of the trio? I can’t really say. I would need to see the other two on DVD again. I probably wouldn’t rank it up there with the first one.

It is a fun film with some nice fight scenes; though I remember the fight scenes in the first Underworld being cooler. Maybe that has something to do with guns versus swords and arrows.

I must admit wondering if the ancient days constantly had full moons so that werewolves could go out and hunt vampires every single night.

There are certain expects to the film that give token references to classic movie themes. You have the Romeo and Juliet romance between a vampire and a lycan. You have the power abusing the powerless. You have the powerless eventually rising up in revolt. These references are simple, easy to understand currents that form the movie’s storyline. Hardly Oscar worthy looks into these subjects, but who cares about watching a serious movie about vampires and lycans when there are actually other serious movies out there that you can watch instead. So yes, this is a lovely popcorn movie during the Oscar awards season.

Summary. There isn’t much to write about this movie. Nice action. Actors over-acting for the fun of it. A nice prequel.

No comments: