Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Drinking Flowers with HOTT MT, Sachcloth and Axes, French Vanilla at The Echo

Drinking Flowers
I'm kind of sure that 2 bands cancelled on this Drinking Flowers residency night at The Echo. If so, French Vanilla and Sachcloth and Axes did a perfect job filling in.

French Vanilla had a punk/rap style. I couldn't help noticing lead singer Sally with her Calvin Klein label underwear. At times, she danced like she was getting ready for a boxing match.

The conversation of the night came when Sally stated, "This is like the most punk Monday night ever."

The response from someone in the audience, said in jest, "No, it isn't."

Her response after a dramatic pause, "Ouch."

Sachcloth and Axes went with the synth sound. On Facebook, the words "hard music" is used. At times, there were angry screams. Other times, the growls of demonic animals. I was into the music as was the audience. For some reason, the set was only 15 minutes. I couldn't help hear a complaint from the audience, "You're only doing a 15 minute set?"

Up next was our shoegaze duo: Drinking Flowers and HOTT MT. Drinking Flowers was on their third night of the residency. As they were setting up, I noticed one of the musicians waving around the fog that was coming from the fog machine. Then off they went with their psychedelic sound. They then did what I haven't seen another local band do for a while. They took an intermission and did a change of cloths. Then the glitter came out. I should have backed away from the stage. I still have glitter on my camera.

HOTT MT closed out the night. I usually don't stay for the midnight bands, but for HOTT MT, I made an exception. In fact, the reason I went to The Echo on this particular Monday night was because I knew HOTT MT would be joining Drinking Flowers. The last time I saw HOTT MT was in 2014 when they played Brokechella (now Broke LA).

What did I notice:

They brought up 3 painted panels for a backdrop.

Their lead singer sat on the floor while the other band members set up. I wonder if she's also still dealing with glitter.

As their set ended, the lead singer did this cute move of holding her hand above her eyes as she scanned the crowd, as if she were attempting to block out the sun.

No comments: