Monday, May 9, 2016

The Soft White Sixties with Ellipses and Kolars at The Satellite

The Soft White Sixties
Ellipses opened up the night. Lead singer Tamara has that deep sexy voice while fellow singer Patrick has a sweet smooth sound. It makes for a fun interaction between the two vocals. The band started out their set by giving each other the middle finger. During their set, Tarama seemed to know a lot of the people in the audience so as the set was coming to a close she said, "I know we're terrible, but please come closer. Mom, please. It'll make us feel better."

Kolars is a two piece band featuring Rob and Lauren. They are a married couple, as well. Also, they've been in at least two other bands together: Lemon Sun and He's My Brother, She's My Sister. I've been privileged to see all three. I saw Lemon Sun once or twice, probably back in 2009-ish. Maybe even earlier. I then came across He's My Brother, She's My Sister in 2011. This band keeps some of the basics from the previous versions: Lauren stomping on the bass drum (for Lemon Sun she used to tap dance) and Rob on vocals. The genre has shifted from folk to a soft disco sound.

The Soft White Sixties has the May residency at The Satellite. Lead singer Octavio Genera rips a page out of the 60s. When it comes to dance moves, he has his foot work down. He just slid across that stage throughout the set. I think he could keep up (to a degree, let's not over-exaggerate) with Elvis Presley. Their music hits the dance beats of rock 'n roll.


Photo Gallery by QuickGallery.com

No comments: