Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Penelope Fortier, Correatown and Eliza Rickman at Bootleg

Off to the Bootleg on a rare Sunday night for me. I was there mainly to catch Eliza Rickman. I also saw Penelope Fortier and Correatown.

First off, I was totally thrown off by the fact that there was a different door guy and ticket gal working there. I was momentarily thrown off by that.  You get used to certain people -- maybe the folks I know were off on Sunday night.  (As mentioned, it was a rare Sunday night at the Bootleg for me so perhaps the two working that night are the normal Sunday night crew.)

When I walked in, Penelope Fortier was on the back end of her set.  What I noticed?  She had a wonderful smile and soft, enticing voice.  Correatown was up next: the lead singer with a friend playing along with her.  It was one of those sets where one can sit back and experience Hotel Cafe at the Bootleg.  Speaking of Hotel Cafe.  Eliza Rickman usually plays at Hotel Cafe, but she had us spellbound at the Bootleg on this Sunday night.  She was under the weather and mentioned that she needed to cancel a couple shows that week.  She also mentioned that this was the first time she ever played at the Bootleg and one kind of got the idea that if she was actually scheduled at her normal spot at Hotel Cafe that she might have called in sick.  I've followed Eliza Rickman off and on for the past couple years.  My initial impression was that she was a quirky singer-songwriter who played around on a toy piano.  After this set, my impression is that she is growing into a very cool female singer songwriter.    

Penelope Fortier



Correatown



Eliza Rickman

No comments: