Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Derby Dolls 2011 Championship Sirens vs. The Swarm: 132-106

Score

Q1:  38-22 The Swarm
Q2:  61-57 The Swarm
Q3:  90-89  The Swarm
Q4:  132-106 Sirens, Champions

Thoughts

So being from Los Angeles, I was cheering for the Sirens, but I think The Swarm could have won this (or made it a much closer game) if they hadn't lost their jammer Kiki Diazz sometime in the 3rd Quarter.  I wasn't keeping score regarding which jammers were scoring the most points, but in my mind she was causing the damage.  I don't know all the rules of the roller derby, but in my mind when you have a top jammer and she's close to getting ejected, you protect her as much as possible (or tell her to play more conservatively -- like an NBA player on his 5th foul with a quarter to go in the game).  Of course, I wonder if one of their other jammers was injured or sick.  I forget who the jammer was, but after just one jam she seemed winded.  After her second jam, she looked ready to collapse.  So perhaps that hurt their chances, as well.

The Swarm had ejection problems throughout the night.  I think at the end they only had five or six derby dolls left.  Maybe it is their style, play aggressive and see what happens.  They had some tough defense.  Maybe that causes them problems towards the end of the game, defense causing penalties.  

As for the Sirens, who came up with the font for their program photos?  My word.  I initial thought that it was my eyes (old age damaging the ability to read at night).  Now I have the lights on at home while I'm writing this and I still can't read the font.

Anyways, Morning Wood and Raven Seaward led the team to victory.  Morning Wood knows how to skate on the edge.  I swear the only jammer that could compete with those two was Kiki Diazz.

In my mind, it was obvious that the Sirens would win once Kiki Diazz got booted.  Morning Wood and Raven Seaward were just too tough and the other Swarm jammers just couldn't break through the Siren's defense.

Action of the night:  Morning Wood trying to pass the pack, and attempting to do so by doing one crazy 360 move.  It didn't work.  Penalties were initially assessed and then I believe over-turned.  Nuts.  Is there going to be a Whip It II?  That move needs to make the game sequences.

No comments: