Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Eastern Conference Champions, Happy Hollows and Gothic Tropic at Bootleg

The normal door/ticket folks were back at The Bootleg versus my previous visit. Cool. The local music scene world was back to normal.

Gothic Tropic hit the stage first. They're a three piece band where I would say they're all playing to their own sound. And yet it all works. This is probably why they're called Gothic Tropic.

Eastern Conference Champions came up second. As always, they rocked the audience. I over-heard one conversation where this was said, "They're one of only two local bands that I'll catch every time." The second band was Vanaprasta. Yeah, I love Eastern Conference Champions. As happens maybe once or twice a month, I noticed that I had a huge smile on my face. They introduced a Christmas song towards the end of their set. I believe you can download it from their Facebook page.

The Happy Hollows ended the night.  Lead singer Sarah must have one of the sweetest personalities of Los Angeles bands.  After about three or four songs, one of her guitar strings broke (per Sarah, this was the first time it ever happened to her while on stage).  As the last bars of the song were being played, she ran off stage and into the back room.  Her band mate ran after her, but she quickly re-emerged with another guitar.  He thought she'd gotten electrocuted.  She replied, "Being electrocuted would have been much worse."  As for their sound, they seem to be changing it up just a bit.  I was waiting for Sarah to go crazy on stage.  There were those moments, but their sound was just a little bit less frenzy.  It'll be interesting seeing how they transform only the next year.  

Gothic Tropic



Eastern Conference Champions



The Happy Hollows

No comments: