Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Tempest: Independent Shakespeare Company at Barnsdall Park

This was my second time going to Barnsdall Park to catch some Shakespeare in the Park. Last year was Henry IV parts one and two. This year was The Tempest. The play is put on by the Independent Shakespeare Company. Their season at Barnsdall ends August 30th. The Company is rotating between The Tempest and Henry V.

I'm not a Shakespeare guru or fan so I can't really do a proper review. (I've seen perhaps 4 Shakespeare plays ever.) I will say I enjoyed The Tempest. Last year, I found Henry IV a bit confusing. Of course, this year, someone gave me a quick low down on The Tempest, which helped reduce the confusion.

Random thought: the programs were made of much higher paper quality than last year, meaning that even during this recession they're getting better funding?

My general comments:

Reservations are key. They let the general public in at 7 p.m. (the play starts at 7:30 p.m.), but the area fills up rather quickly. It appeared that some people had to watch from outside the boundaries.

If you have a large group, I'd recommend getting there at 6 p.m. (they start letting people in at this time) so that you can all sit together.

I'd also suggest bringing a jacket or blanket. Even though the plays go on in the middle of the summer, there is a nice breeze that comes through.

No comments: