Sunday, August 30, 2009

AMC Theatres: Rant

AMC Theatres. I go to the AMC 16 Theatres in Burbank on a regular basis. I've always been allowed to bring in food. Suddenly, today, I was told that a Chipotle burrito was no longer allowed inside. They said Corporate had changed the policy. Now I wasn't the only one caught in this change of policy, because two other folks were also told that food was no longer allowed. AMC actually said that the policy wasn't changed. They said that the policy was just never enforced. Yes, not enforced for close to a decade, which means it was a suspended policy.

I asked to talk to the manager, but got no where with him regarding allowing a pass this time around. I then went online to see if I couldn't send a complaint to the corporate offices. You can't even send an e-mail complaint to AMC. You need to write a letter.

I don't have an issue with AMC saying that they're no longer allowing food inside their theatres. It is their right. But it is a bit irritating for such a sudden enforcement of the new policies without having a grace period. You have people who've gone to AMC 16 for years and always spend a few bucks on food to bring inside the threatre. I find it a bit rude for them to say to people, "Hey, we're changing a policy we've had for years. We're not going to have any grace period and by default we don't really care that you just spent money on food that we now demand that you toss." Oh, they said I could put the burrito in my car, but putting a burrito with sour cream in my car for three hours in our August heatwave sounds like a recipe for food poisoning.

What did I do? I asked for my money back.

Will I go to the AMC 16 theatre in the future? Yes, but I felt that in this case I just couldn't hand over my money and still keep a sense of self-worth.

No comments: