Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Movie Review: Public Enemies

I'm up and down on Michael Mann. I loved "Collateral." I hated "Miami Vice." Now comes "Public Enemies." I did not like it. The movie centers around John Dillinger. The first half or so of the movie was okay, the second half was just a dud. Here's my problems with the movie:

In the scenes at the Wisconsin hotel, Michael Mann decided to go with what appeared to be an "inspired by the TV show Cops" type of filming. I just found it over-the-top and actually a total switch in style from the rest of the movie.

I also wasn't sure how John Dillinger was being portrayed. Was he a cunning bank robber? Was he a playboy? Was he a vicious killer? I don't know. If he was cunning, the movie surely didn't show it very well. I couldn't help but wonder: After awhile, wasn't John Dillinger sort of surprised that where ever he went, often times the FBI was around somewhere? Didn't he perhaps wonder how the FBI was tracking him?

Anyways, not one of my favorite summer movies.

No comments: