Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A Taste of Life: A Vegan Restaurant

I’ve gotten food from a vegan food stand at the Hollywood Farmers Market for a number of years. The food stand is called A Taste of Life. It is good old American food with a Soul flavor. A dinner plate is $12. Admittedly, this is on the high end for
a Farmers Market, but the food is so good. The dinner plate allows you to choose four of six different dishes: Macaroni and Cheese, Kale Greens, Vegan Lasagna, Blackeyed Peas, BBQ Tofu and Vegan Pot Roast. (Note: the menu states that the Blackeyed Peas also comes with or without rice, but unfortunately they were told that they needed to keep the rice warm for health reasons. Since they use dish burners to keep the food warm, the rice turned hard so they had to stop offering the rice.) I personally like the Macaroni and Cheese the best. I’m not a vegan so I do eat Mac and Cheese on occasion and I have to say that this is the best Mac and Cheese -- even if the cheese isn’t really cheese. I also enjoy the Vegan Lasagna and Vegan Pot Roast. I also go with the vegetable option at times and get the Kale Greens. And that isn’t to say that the BBQ Tofu and Blackeyed Peas aren’t bad either. The dinner includes a cut of cornbread -- amazing. They also have a breakfast sandwich, which is also good.

There is also a restaurant on
4718 Fountain Ave #D (upstairs). It is small. It can seat only 10 or less inside -- though I do believe there was some outside seating. They have an additional menu there that you won’t get at the Farmers Market, which includes sandwiches, pizza and shakes. I’ve only gone once and had a sandwich and shake. Let me tell you, it rocked.

Over-all, I really consider this the best vegan restaurant in Los Angeles. I will admit my experience with vegan restaurants is limited to perhaps five, but out of those handful of locations Taste of Life ranks way above the others (except for one, which is also really good).

No comments: