Friday, March 27, 2009

Duke's March Ends

Ouch. Luckily, I didn't see the Clemson blowout game. Unfortunately, I witnessed this one. Ouch. Duke v. Villanova.

Defense. Mercy. Could Duke even find an open shot other than from three feet above the arch?

Fouls. Henderson, Thomas and Smith had early foul trouble. I couldn't help but think this was due to seeing the need to make something happen on the defensive end since nothing was happening on the offensive end. Two fouls come to mind. Thomas trying to flick a ball away from a Villanova player from behind. Singler attempting to steal an inbounds pass. I think both were attempts to just get something going on the defensive side, making for some easy points. Unfortunately, they were silly attempts that just got Duke into rotation issues.

Rotation. I could be wrong, but I think Coach K was hoping that Zoubek would change the face of the game.

Paulus. He made an immediate three pointer and then he made a most horrid turnover where he just threw the ball in between two players. Honestly, you can't be to harsh on the guy. This was the most playing time he's had in awhile and when you don't play you forget the tendencies of your teammates (I'm not a professional athlete so I guess I should say this is more of an opinion).

Zoubek. I really wish he could play the post versus just setting screens along the arc all night long. I really think if Zoubek had a strong post game, Duke could have just fed him the ball all night long. The guy has a nice touch. His two tip-ins were beauties.

Henderson. Even one of the CBS announcers felt sorry for him. The guy couldn't hit anything until the game was far gone. I wonder if playing in Boston where his father used to play had anything to do with it -- of course, different arena -- or perhaps I just need to give it up to Villanova.

Williams. I was impressed with that drive and taking the hard foul.

Next season. Hopefully Henderson returns. Hopefully, Zoubek finds a post game. Hopefully, Smith improves greatly at point guard.

***

Now it is time to concentrate on the Los Angeles Lakers. I don't get that Hollinger ranking on ESPN.com. The Lakers have FIVE less losses than Boston and yet Boston still ranks as the number two team. And in the last ten games the Lakers are 8-2 versus 5-5 for Boston. I know it is all mathematical, but something just seems off. Of course, the same is true with New Orleans at #13 and Phoenix at #11. New Orleans has 26 losses while Phoenix has 32.

No comments: