Sunday, March 15, 2009

Dead Rose Beauty at King King in Hollywood



Dead Rose Beauty was the highlight of the night at King King in Hollywood. I got to King King around 10:30 p.m. I ran into a friend who said, “Did you park in the parking lot?” I replied, “No, I parked on the street.” His response, with a tad bit of astonishment, “Good, because it’s $15!”


Dead Rose Beauty didn’t go on stage until about midnight. I didn’t catch the first band in full, but the band probably didn’t go onstage until after 10 p.m. The second band played a Depeche Mode cover, “Stripped.” Hey, Depeche Mode’s new album is going on sale April 21, 2009. As DRB started to set-up on stage, a violinist was there with the band. I was thinking that they had added an additional member to their band. But as soon as she hooked up her violin, she moved off-stage. So what was up with that? Some things noticed: Before going back stage, the violinist and Nina pumped each other with a few back and forth screams of “Yah.” Thomas on guitar had a set of three guitars. He switched out based on the song. I usually like to see the song list. In fact, I usually take a photo of the song list, because it helps me when writing up my band blogs. I didn’t see a song list anywhere on stage. The violinist did join them for “Follow Me.” The violin added a perfect touch to this emotional song. The violinist contrasted with the aggressive style of the band. I know I wrote this in a previous blog, but I just can’t believe how low the bass player plays. Nina’s vocals went from the aggressive “Psycho Bitch” to the balladic “Follow Me” in fine manner. For some reason I spent some time watching the bands setting up and tearing down. Bands were hauling and taking down their equipment from the front of the stage, from stage left and stage right. A number of times, when I use initials for Dead Rose Beauty, I accidentally type down DBR. I couldn’t figure out why I was doing that. Finally I typed in DBR into yahoo.com. Up came the Duke Basketball Report. If you glance through my other blogs, you know I’m a Duke fan. I never think in terms of DBR when visiting ww.dukebasketballreport.com, but I guess it just slipped into my subconscious. I have to admit this was my first time at King King. To me, it is a rather non-descript look from the outside, but inside it is a nice set-up.

No comments: