Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Battlestar Galactica: Final Episode

Battlestar Galactica

So let’s go to the end of the finale

There is a Bible verse, Genesis 6:4, that reads:

The Nephilim were on the earth in those days – and also afterward – when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

I couldn’t help but think about this Bible verse when Gaius Baltar was talking about how they could mate with the civilization they found on Earth. I wonder if the writers of Battlestar Galactica also thought about this verse when showing OUR Earth 150,000 years in the pass.

I actually didn’t fully appreciate the idea of the Caprica remnant coming to Earth 150,000 years in our past. Doesn’t it just bring up questions about how such an advance society would change world history in a dramatic fashion? I suppose when you destroy all your technology and you have a self-imposed aversion to it, it is probably rather easy to regress in knowledge and power. (For example, China destroying its shipping fleet way back when.) But on the other hand, there are certain basics that I suspect you wouldn't forget such as: creative assumptions on art and music, basic scientific knowledge in terms of water mills and wind power and the wheel, and agricultural techniques. And then I couldn’t help but think how Europeans wiped out the American Indians via disease. Wouldn’t the folks on Caprica have much better immune systems then those individuals living on Earth – talk about unintended genocide. Someone from Caprica comes down with the flu and all early human civilization on Earth is wiped out.

The very end where Ghost/Angel Baltar and Caprica 6 exchange comments about how “God” doesn’t like to be called “God” was interesting. I wonder if “God” is really a massive self-aware, all sensing computer that hits the re-set button when it feels things get out of whack. This computer also has the ability to project itself in terms of a Starbuck. And perhaps there are other smaller computers such as the “Angels” who help serve this “God.” The computer being put into place by an initial advanced society that perhaps committed “assisted suicide” to reset the human/machine clock or perhaps the massive self-aware computer took over and determined that a reset needed to take place.

Advance to the first hour and a half or so

Wow, those battle scenes were awesome. Strategy sessions. Air battles. Armed conflict. All in such a short time frame.

I loved that Baltar decided to stay with the Galactica.

I loved the interchange between Caprica and Baltar that went something like this:

Baltar: You shouldn’t be here.
Caprica: I’ve been in more battles then you have.
Baltar: You have a point there.

I loved the truce scene and how Tyrol went off on Tory.

I loved how when the Galactica jumped from the battle and re-emerged you saw it just wanting to break apart, but somehow it found the strength to stay strong.

One thing I didn’t like: The temple dream scene turned into reality was a little weak. Sorry.

I wondered how the Centurions divided between the two warring fractions of Cylons. Maybe I over-looked that division from an earlier episode.


I loved this episode so much I watched it twice: by myself once and with some friends once.

Over-all regarding the last half of S4

I have to admit that I thought over-all that S4.11 through S4.20 was rather dull in significant chucks of episodes, though S4.13 and S4.19-20 were brilliant.

No comments: