Monday, March 2, 2009

Dead Rose Beauty @ Private Performance Party

I was invited to see a private performance party thrown by Dead Rose Beauty at Nightingale Studios in Burbank. I never heard of Nightingale Studios. It is on West Providence. I didn’t look around, but it looks like a nice sized complex. The set was in one of the studios. The size of the studio was larger than Fox and Hounds, but smaller than El Cid. Dead Rose Beauty supplied snacks and drinks. I didn’t eat anything, but I did notice a bag of chips from Trader Joe’s -- the one I buy (the only reason I mention this is so that I can give Trader Joe’s a mention).

The last time I caught Dead Rose Beauty was at
The Key Club on a Steel Panther Monday night. That was way back in late September. They then went on tour with Meat Loaf and afterwards lost their drummer. They just recently got a new drummer, Sammy J Watson. This private performance party was to introduce Sammy J Watson to the DRB fan base.


Some show highlights and other comments

DBR had a huge banner that hung across the back wall.

The start of the set was signaled when a group of guys moved up to the front of the stage along with a couple photographers.

"Psycho Bitch," the coolest DBR song, was their third song.

Lead singer Nina has gone from a blond to brunette (or maybe just a darker shade of blond).

Cash plays the bass lower than any other local bassist I know. On occasion, he also plays the bass in a near vertical fashion. He plays the bass in a wild animal manner. I swear he’s one aggressive bass player.

It being an introduction of the drummer, I have to say that this drummer has one impressive drum set. That drum set had nine cymbals. I only counted eight, but it was pointed out that there were nine. The ninth was a very small cymbal.

Nina has one of the smoothest body motions of any lead singer of an LA local band. This is the result of a dance background.

I believe three of the DRB members are from Denmark.

There was a song dedicated to Nina’s teenage sister.

It was getting hot in the studio. The whole band was sweating

Hey, got to mention Thomas on guitar. He also does background vocals. See below photo of Nina pointing at him. She tends to move in his direction during the set, the guitar driving her movements.




The studio was filled with fans as well as a few hanging out in the hallway.

As I was leaving for the night, one of the studios was being used by another band.

No comments: