Saturday, March 28, 2009

At Spaceland to see Rosie and Trap

Monday night was one of those nights where I got a bug to see a couple random bands. I got to Spaceland just a tad after 9:30 p.m. When I got in Rosie and the Goldbug was on stage. I probably caught half their set. Rosie is the keyboardist and vocalist. She has a doll-like look with a flair for the theatrics. I loved her look. It was a fun set – the part I caught. They’re a London-based band. They were passing through after spending time at SXSW. The ending went something like this: Rosie asked for cheers. Very few cheers were submitted so she yelled, “For F*#@k sake, give it up.” And with that the audience cheered. Final note: It might seem strange, but I couldn’t help but think about wood toy soldiers and how they might act if they were given the temporary gift of life.

The next band up was The Temper Trap. This band is from Australia. Another one of those bands passing through Los Angeles via SXSW. This is a four piece all-male band. The band started off with what seemed like a glorious five minute musical introduction. They delivered the goods throughout the night. Things noticed about the band: When not using his guitar pick, the lead singer slipped it between his lips. I half wondered if he’s every nearly swallowed it. He also at times holds the microphone back handed. The lead singer also took a small role on the percussions. I’ve come across more bands that have the occasional double percussion playing: Local Natives and Whispertown 2000 are two examples. It is rather cool. (This is probably normal, but for me it is an interesting twist.) The bassist is tall and lanky and has this very cool way of moving around, sort of a long stretch move.

I’ll have to try and remember this time frame in the future. It seems that right after or perhaps even right before SXSW is a time where non-LA base bands come through to play before heading to or from SXSW. It is always nice to catch some non-LA based band.

No comments: