Friday, March 20, 2009

Movie Review: The Watchmen

Watchmen. Going into this movie, I was unfamiliar with the story. I hadn’t read the graphic novel before heading in. What got me excited about the movie; however, was the fact that the director was Zack Snyder – the director of “300.” Also, even though I don’t read comic books, I do enjoy watching comic book inspired movies. And hey, I loved the trailer.

Well . . . I consider this movie a mess. It isn’t as awful as the “Curious Case of Benjamin Button.” I found
“Benjamin Button” just straight out boring. But “Watchmen” wasn’t much better. First, I hated the first few minutes of the movie. The movie was dedicated to the history of the Watchmen – all in quick clips. The triumphs. The deaths. Second, I hated the dramatic scenes with the rock soundtrack. I was in a large theatre that was probably 70 percent filled. People were laughing their heads off. I wasn’t sure why they were laughing. Was I not in on an inside “Watchmen” joke? Or did everyone else find these scenes as campy as I did?

As for the rest of the movie, I just couldn’t get into it. Who was setting up the Watchmen? I didn’t really care. It was a mystery movie in which I really didn’t care about the resolution.

No comments: