Monday, March 23, 2009

Duke Marches On

March Madness has begun and the ACC performed poorly. As for Duke, we’ve made it to the Sweet 16 after a couple disappointing years. Of course, hopefully it doesn’t end there.

I didn’t get to see the first game: Duke v. Binghamton. There was some other game on television. I doubt I missed anything though. I did get to see the second half of the Duke v. Texas game. This was a much closer game than the Florida State game. I felt; however, that Duke played a much better game against Texas. The big thing was that Duke was far less reliant on the three point shot. I felt there was good post play in this game versus the Florida State game.

It got a bit nerve racking there with Kyle Singler and Lance Thomas fouling out. Brian Zoubek was at 4 fouls. It was interesting when Singler was called for his fifth foul. Both Singler and Zoubek were in the vicinity. As soon as Singler heard the whistle, he started pointed at Zoubek. I didn’t see Zoubek’s reaction. I wonder if he tried to encourage the referees to call the foul on him.

Now Duke has Villanova. Villanova pounded UCLA. I only saw the first half, but that told the story. And then I saw some interview clips. One UCLA player had a bloody lip. Duke is in for a battle. Hopefully, they play tough, as well. Singler, Thomas and Zoubek will need to watch their fouls; however. Duke has a better front court than in the recent past, but they still don’t have a ton of fouls to give up.

No comments: