Friday, February 25, 2011

A Movie Review. The Chronicles of Naria: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. So I was a little hesitant about seeing this movie after noticing that the critics didn’t exactly give this a thumbs up. Some of the criticisms I read: the special effects weren’t cut rate and the storyline was about a quest that didn’t have much excitement to it.

Honestly, I didn’t mind what I saw on screen in terms of special effects. It worked for me though I thought the Dawn Treader looked more like a toy than an actual ship. This didn’t have anything to do with the special effects, but with whoever designed the ship.

As for the quest, I enjoyed the quest. Temptations abounded. Heroes were made. Fears became reality.

Now I’m not saying that there weren’t deeper themes that could have been explored, but let’s be honest that this isn’t a movie for adults. This is a movie for kids. And C.S. Lewis wrote the book for kids. So why expect more. But here are some complaints: the complex relationship between King Caspian and King Edmund could have been explored more deeply. And let’s face it, Eustace was a total irritant for half the movie. As said; however, for a movie that is focused as family entertainment, this movie fits the bill.

No comments: