Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Gardens & Villa, Hands and Family of the Year at Bootleg

It was off to the Bootleg to catch Gardens and Villa, Hands and Family of the Year. First off was the fact that Bootleg had us enter via a new entrance. I wonder if that will be an ongoing deal. It probably reduces the noise pollution in the neighborhood so perhaps so.

Gardens & Villa started off the night. Their myspace page calls their sound turntablism. I can get behind that, but I’d add into that mix a use of Peruvian flutes. It all works wonderfully together. I’m making a mental note to check them out again.

Hands went on stage next. A friend of theirs was celebrating her birthday. In celebration, a lot of dancing was does near the stage.

Closing out the night was Family of the Year. I last saw them during their Silverlake Lounge residency. I believe that was the night where I also first saw The Lonely Wild. Their set started off with them rocking, which took me back a little. For some reason, I remembered them being much more folk-music oriented. As their set progressed, they shifted to their folk-music sound. Really just a solid set.

Comment of the night: Like a school teacher.

Gardens & Villa







Hands







Family of the Year









No comments: