Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Lonely Trees and Kiev at Bardot

One of the first Los Angeles bands I fell in love with outside of the old Kiss or Kill scene was Monsters are Waiting with front woman Annalee Fery. It is, of course, totally awesome that she's returned to the music scene via Lonely Trees. And so it was off for a second time to catch
Lonely Trees at Bardot where they were backing up the residency band Kiev. This was also the second time around for me to catch Kiev.

So while hanging around the Bardot to catch Lonely Trees some random guy came up to me and asked me which bands were playing. I mentioned to him the two bands I knew were playing. He then asked who was playing next and if Annalee Fery, who was standing next to her synthesizer, was in Lonely Trees. I told him yes and he immediately started to head towards her. Amusing.

Lonely Trees really ruled Los Angeles with their set -- even if it included a broken guitar string, all the better to poke off any potential competition.

Comment of the night: Annalee, you look really lovely in that dress tonight . . . Please return it back to me after the set.

Kiev came on next. Here's what I love about this band: they let their music develop via these long improvisational riffs. I could be wrong, but I don't believe they did the standard 8 song set. When I see them again (at Bardot or elsewhere), I'll have to keep a song count in my head. It is a let-the-music-embrace-you approach. And hey, I hear a little influence of Sting playing a role here.


Lonely Trees






Kiev





No comments: