Monday, August 16, 2010

Vanaprasta, Tomorrows Tulips and White Arrows at Spaceland

I'd call this parents' day at Spaceland. The parents of the lead singer for Vanaprasta were at the front of the stage and very proud of their son -- the father urging the mother to take photos at various times during the set. And I sort of suspect that the father for one of the members of Tomorrows Tulips was also in the audience. There was this strange resemblance there.

Vanaprasta started out their set with some forehead hugs. This is the third time I've seen Vanaprasta. For some reason, each time I see them, I feel like they're shifting their style just a bit. This time around, they seemed just a bit more mellow than the last time I saw them. Maybe it had to do with where I was standing. I think the band has two personalities on stage. Those on one part of the stage are in constant motion while on the other stage one of the band members is slightly more reserved (partially due to the fact that he plays the keyboards part of the time). Perhaps this impacts how I view the band for a specific night.

Tomorrows Tulips is a two piece band and is definitely in the mellow camp. I enjoyed their sound. Towards the end of their set, the sound guy thought they were finished up and so asked if they were done. The lead singer responded, "We have two more. Do we have time?" Yes, they did. And at the end of their set, the drummer put on her jacket. It was chilly not only outside, but also inside Spaceland. For some reason, I think their band name should read "Tomorrow's," but I don't see the apostrophe on their website so I'm leaving it out in this blog. I do notice that various other websites (including Spaceland) have their name as Tomorrow's Tulips.

The residency band for August is White Arrows. Before their set started, I noticed one of the guys in the band writing out the song list for everyone in the band. While he was kneeling on the ground replicating the song list for everyone, one of the guys grabbed the paper he was copying from. He was like, "Hey, give me that back." They played their whole set with the lights out. There were some low level spotlights going on, but essentially they played in the dark -- and they aren't even shoegaze. They had a couple guest musicians come up on stage for two songs. One, a guitarist, had to join shortly into one song as he was searching for the electric guitar plug.

Vanaprasta



Tomorrows Tulips







(just thought this was interesting)



White Arrows



No comments: