Monday, August 2, 2010

Queen Kwong, Spider Problem and Stab City at Grand Star

It was off to the Grand Star to see Queen Kwong, Spider Problem and Stab City. This was my first time ever to the Grand Star in Chinatown.

Comment: I've never felt so Chinese, I guess.

Queen Kwong was up first. So I was reading Queen Kwong's blog or rather Carré Callaway's blog. There was a question that was asked: How do you feel about having a large fan based composed of men with foot fetishes? She has an answer, but my answer is: I'm a guy and I find her attractive, but I don't have a foot fetish -- at least, I don't believe I have one, maybe it is a latent thing.

Noticed: A set list on an itemized restaurant receipt.

I feel like doing a little comparing and contrasting between Spider Problem and Queen Kwong, perhaps because both bands have female lead singers. I ran across Spider Problem for the first time in October 07 over at El Cid. I saw Queen Kwong for the first time in May 08 at Silverlake Lounge. I've seen Spider Problem way too many times to try and count while I've seen Queen Kwong five times (maybe once more, but I'm holding at five): Silverlake Lounge, Echo Curio, Spaceland, The Echo and Grand Star.

There are some major contrasting points between the two singers. At Grand Star, both spent part of their set on the floor of the stage, but Carré was sitting on the ground jamming on her guitar while Shayne was sprawled across the stage after jumping on one of her band mates. I noticed how both dealt with their microphone stands. Carré moved her stand around so that it fit with how she was working the stage. For Shayne, within thirty seconds, her microphone stand was tossed to the side -- I do love that about her. Shayne is the bumper car derby girl while Carré is the rocker chick with Audrey Hepburn grace. They have different styles, but they both front great bands.

And hey, Queen Kwong has a fun blog. And as for Spider Problem, what happened to their blogging. I loved reading their blog.

The Spider Problem drummer loves to pour water on herself.

I haven't forgotten Stab City in all of this. This band just gets you going. There was a whole line of women creating their own mosh pit for half their set. I captured a few photos of the drummer. This drummer goes right up there with the drummer from Prizzy Prizzy Please as being an act all on his own. He doesn't just sit at his drum set. He roams around his drum set, banging away at it from any angle he pleases. Hey, I'm a guy who likes Queen Kwong, but I'm also a guy who can like a band like Stab City.

Comment: I am far too sober. It is a sad state of affairs.

The sober comment was soon rectified when three drinks were brought to the feet of Stab City's lead singer.

Queen Kwong









Spider Problem











Stab City









No comments: