Monday, August 23, 2010

Pollyn, Eastern Conference Champions, Ghostland Observatory and a Miles Davis Bitches Brew Album Celebration at Sunset Junction

It was off to Sunset Junction on Saturday. I arrived around 5 p.m. I immediately went to The Fold Stage. Pollyn was just about to start their set. Hot thing about the band, the two backup singers also play trombones. They had some fans who were wearing "Pollyn" stickers across their shirts. Eastern Conference Champions was next. A handful of my friends arrived around this time. I told them they had to catch this band. They loved Eastern Conference Champions. And why not? This band is awesome. And of the handful of times I've seen them, this was their best set -- though my friends were complaining about the volume from the speakers, I had my earplugs on so I was okay though I could feel the sound waves pulsing through my body. The sound guy in fact had to request that they lower the volume a couple of times.

To Eastern Conference Champions: Where's your bass?
Response: We locked him up.

We left that stage and slowly made our way to the opposite end of the Junction to catch Fishbone and Bad Brains, but . . . my friend who was really into seeing these two bands sent us to the wrong stage. Instead we caught the Miles Davis/Bitches Brew Album Celebration. Hey, not a very bad mix-up I'd argue. Next up was Ghostland Observatory. I'd gotten separated from my friends. They figured they were at the wrong stage and so took off. They obviously didn't send me a text or anything like that. I was close to the front of the stage and was surrounded by a group of individuals who were very excited about seeing Ghostland Observatory. If I heard right, a couple of them had followed the band from Las Vegas to Washington to Sunset Junction. Hey, if those fans were so devoted, I figured I'd stick around to see Ghostland Observatory. The keyboard/electronic/percussionist guy wears a cape during his set. The fans around me had brought some capes with them and tossed them on stage to get him to sign them. Did I like Ghostland Observatory? Hey, even if my feet were killing me, I felt like their set was a song or two short. Of course, Sunset Junction thought they were going on too long as the sound guy apparently decided to kill their set. Or maybe it was a technical glitch. For the second to last song, the lead singer's microphone shut off. Ghostland Observatory went with one last song and that was that. Ghostland Observatory did go on a bit later than planned as it seemed that they were waiting for their laser show to warm up before going on stage.

Comment 1: They're fake.
Comment 2: I like fake breasts.

Pollyn





Eastern Conference Champions











Miles Davis/Bitches Brew Celebration







Ghostland Observatory



No comments: