Saturday, June 19, 2010

Shanghai River and Spider Problem @ Vlad the Retailer

It was off to a new music venue called Vlad the Retailer. It is a smallish store that from what I could tell sells books, VHS tapes, art, cloths and maybe even a couch and piano. Essentially, a little bit of everything. It is right next to Los Angeles City College and two places I've posted blogs on: Scoops and Pure Luck. I was there to catch Shanghai River and Spider Problem.

Shanghai River was in town from Texas. They were great and I wouldn't mind checking them out again.

My big reason for showing up was to check out Spider Problem. The past two times I've seen Spider Problem, I do believe they've ended their set at the half way point. For example, I saw them at the Redwood and Shayne scraped her knees so badly that they decided to end the set. This time around, I do believe they were able to make it through their set.

As Spider Problem was setting up, a group of perhaps close to ten showed up, a nice number of loyal friends.

Heard from someone in the crowd: I heard that I have to check out Spider Problem, because the lead singer goes nuts on stage.

I think Shayne wanted to go much more nuts on stage during their set than she did, but she was met with an interesting dilemma. The audience formed a wall along the stage area and so as she bumper car-ed her way into the audience she just got bumped back towards the stage. She wasn't able to move that wall more than an inch or so before she got bounced back to where she started. Of course, when Joe from Pu$$y Cow decided to get to the front, he just moved everyone in front aside and took his place upfront.

Note: I haven't seen a full Spider Problem set in awhile (as mentioned above). For some reason, I think they've changed up a tad where there is a shift away from screaming vocals to a touch of the occasional melody in the vocals. It works.

Comment: We'll see you again in Los Angeles . . . because we live in Los Angeles.

Shanghai River









Spider Problem







No comments: