Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Dharma Bums, The Mormons and Pu$$y Cow (5th Anniversary) @ The Blue Star

I suppose putting up a blog late is better than never. I caught Pu$$y Cow's fifth anniversary show and soon thereafter took off on vacation so I never really had a chance to post the blog up sooner than now.

After checking out Silverlake Jubilee and then heading off to Pasadena to hang out with friends, I went to the Blue Star to celebrate Pu$$y Cow's 5th Anniversary. What a crazy day with The Dharma Bums, The Mormons and Pu$$y Cow.

I had a timing issue with heading out to the Blue Star. As mentioned, I was hanging with friends, but definitely didn't want to miss out on Pu$$y Cow's set. I sent out a couple text messages regarding when Pu$$y Cow might go on stage, but didn't get any replies back. I decided to head over at around 10:45 p.m. While driving down the street that leads to Blue Star, I couldn't help but notice that the street was packed with parked cars. Unfortunately, not all those cars were for the Pu$$y Cow show. This area appears to be becoming a party scene section of Los Angeles.

I got there in time to catch the last couple songs of The Dharma Bums. The next band up were The Mormons. They dress up as Mormons. I believe the last time I saw them was the 2007 Eagle Rock Music Festival. The lead singer wears elbow and knee pads. He needs these as he does the craziest things like stretching himself parallel to the ground by hanging alongside the metal gate that is used to load equipment onto the Blue Star stage. And his legs lock into positions that have to make one squirm a tad, contortionist.

The final band of the night was Pu$$y Cow. They went on around midnight. A great party with streamers being tossed -- and glitter not so much.

Comment regarding the glitter: "I thought this would be so much more interesting."

The main reaction to the Pu$$y Cow set? There was crowd surfing as individuals crowd surfed the night away. A great celebration of five years.

And as I was leaving at around 1 a.m., there were still party people arriving for the party going on a few yards away from The Blue Star.

Photos:

Dharma Bums




The Mormons











Pu$$y Cow





No comments: