Friday, June 11, 2010

Prizzy Prizzy Please @ Echo Curio along with Pu$$y Cow and Spokemen

I saw Prizzy Prizzy Please awhile back a Juanita's in Highland Park. Since they're from middle America, it isn't like I get to see them all that often so I made sure I would be able to catch their set at Echo Curio. In fact, this was my first night out to catch music since my return from Prague. I'd spent about a week trying to get rid of jet lag.

The line up I saw included Pu$$y Cow, Spokesmen, and Prizzy Prizzy Please.

I noticed Joe from Pu$$y Cow, right before their set started, coming through the door with his music stand. I then over-heard him say for one song, "I forgot my kazoo." Oh well, he was responsible for putting this night together so he probably had other things on his mind -- or maybe he's just getting old?? :-).

During the Pu$$y Cow set, a couple questions were asked: "Should we leave a five second break between songs?" and "Are we playing too loud?" I guess Echo Curio has gotten itself shut down by police at times from neighbors complaining about the music. There is a sign on the door requesting that folks only enter or exit between songs. Luckily, on this night, no police showed up.

The Spokesmen are from out of state. They're on tour with Prizzy Prizzy Please. They had what appears to be a decorated 2x4 that they use in front of the bass drum -- check below photo for evidence.

The final band of the night was Prizzy Prizzy Please. They started out with some blasting punk rock mosh pit music and then switched it up with a more melodic sound towards the end. This is what I love about this band, this ability to switch it up with ease and it all sounds awesome. Of course, I have to admit, I had to leave Echo Curio towards the back half of their set. It was just getting too hot inside for me. Luckily, as noted by their neighbors, the music can be heard outside of Echo Curio so I stood by the window and listened from that vantage point. A couple individuals commented that they were doing the same thing as me. How hot did it get inside Echo Curio? Well, the window was fogging up by the end.

I overheard the owner/manager mention that they will be putting in an air conditioning unit soon. Please do. Come the hot months of summer, if there is not an air conditioning unit, everyone will be watching the bands from the sidewalk. (Note: I do love Echo Curio and do show up every other month or so -- so this paragraph is a sense of future relief versus an attack on the venue.)

Pu$$y Cow







Spokesmen









Prizzy Prizzy Please







No comments: