Thursday, June 24, 2010

Lakers Parade 2010!!!

It was off to the Lakers Parade 2010. First off, I have to admit this probably ranks worse of the four celebrations I attended. It was driven by two things. First, I had high expectations. I thought the buses were going to stop and there were going to be interviews along the way -- at least that is how I read the LA Times article posted over the weekend. There were interviews, but apparently for television, not the folks along the parade route (at least, where I was standing -- I noticed Kobe being interviewed as his bus passed on by). Second, I was on the wrong side of the street, because I think most of the starters were on the other side of the bus.

Before heading off to the parade route, I turned on KTTV/1070 AM and learned that there weren't any portable bathrooms along the route. Some guy was offering his bathroom for $5. That stopped the water drinking and my using of a toilet before getting onto the Red Line. I got onto the Red Line at around 9:30 a.m. It was packed with fans.

I got to the Staples Center and was met with the following crowd.




With more folks exiting from the Blue Line.



I decided to walk south and ended up around here. Note: The nearest police officer was rather cool. Talking with the fans. It was almost likely zooming back in time, a neighborhood cop that you now only see in old 1930s movies.

Though I found one thing interesting regarding the police and fans. A police officer was coming around with a video camera, filming the audience. The audience would cheer like crazy. I was like, why would you do that, you know they're filming us to use as potential evidence should anything illegal happen.



Fisher for President and a Kobe is better than Shaq posters.



Kobe/Championship Banner.



First sight of buses.



Cheerleaders.



Cheerleaders.



Cheerleader.



Trophy.



Magic -- a bit blurry, because the bus train was going pass so quickly, sorry for being a bit irritated with that.



AC Green.



Kareem.



And the bus passing.



I have to say that even though I don't give the parade a big thumbs up, there is something about just being along the parade route. It is one of those city events that I think everyone should attend sometime in their life. This is Los Angeles. All the cultures (admittedly, a younger age demographic) and doing so peacefully.

And the folks I was near, we actually had some small talk. A guy walked by with a Celtics banner crossed out and I attempted to take a photo of it along with another guy. He turned to me and asked, "Did you get that." I replied, "No, all blurry." And at the end, I was asked to take a photo of his group of friends.

A reporter surrounded.




Tattoo: A guy with a crossed out LAPD on his head and a line that read, "My mind plays tricks on man."


See LA Times article for some additional thoughts on the parade.

No comments: