Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Chez Cherie, cooking class

I had the opportunity recently to take a cooking class at Chez Cherie. It is located at 1401 Foothill Blvd, La Canada, CA.

A number of us got there at around 3:15 p.m. The class started at around 3:30 p.m. First off, we were provided with some appetizers. They had caprese and mushroom/leek bruschetti for us. Awesome.

We were then split into two groups and rotated around two tables. One table had us doing cracked potatoes with rosemary, arugula-hazelnut pesto and handmade pasta. The other table made insalata di rinforzo and almond-plum crostada.

Then around 6:00 p.m. we got to enjoy our work.

It was fun, but I have to admit that there was one item I will definitely not make on a regular basis: the home made pasta. Though we did the pasta rather quickly, I suspect that in reality it is sort of a pain to make your own pasta when you know that just down the street you can buy pasta for less than a dollar and honestly the pasta at the grocery story tastes much better.

I could see myself making the potatoes with rosemary. The arugula-hazelnut pesto looked amazingly easy to make.

The almond-plum crostada also looked easy to make though much more time consuming than the amount of time we spent on it since all the ingredients were already out and ready to go for us.

I think the small deception with these cooking classes is that in reality it takes much longer to make these dishes since many of the ingredients are already pre-made for you.

Overall, though, I think taking a cooking class with friends is a great idea. I guess one could consider it one of those staycations that is discussed so often these days.

Photos of the location.





Photos of the food.





Photo of where we ate.

No comments: