Monday, July 20, 2009

Big Stone City, F-ing Southwell and Z/Schnee and the Bleeding Livers

Wednesday night at El Cid to catch Rob Z's night. As I was walking towards El Cid I heard the sounds of the first band. I was thinking, “Wow, that band sounds really awesome.” The band is called Big Stone City. I’m sorry I didn’t catch their whole set. Next up was F*** Southwell. He used to front my all-time favorite local band: Bang Sugar Bang. He borrowed a couple guys from Get Set Go to help fill out his sound. A funny note about his set: He took one of his guitars from its case and realized that one of the strings was broken. He broke it at his last gig. He mentioned, “This just proves that I am one of the laziest musicians around. And I didn’t even practice with the guys since our last show. They said we’re fine, however.”



The final band of the night was Z/Schnee and the Bleeding Livers. This is Rob Z’s band. Rob Z always has these gags he uses. This time around he had a bicycle horn. He told everyone, “Whenever I make a sound with this horn, I want everyone to yell out, ‘Brand New Car.’ It means we’re singing a brand new song.” Kevin and Emily from the former band Midway made an awesome guest appearance that got many of the people in the crowd pumped up. Somewhere in the middle of the Bleeding Livers set, a couple of people took to dancing on the floor. A couple of others joined after some persuasion. Soon thereafter a large number of people started to dance away. Anyways, this is the last Rob Z night for awhile as he is putting his night on hiatus.







No comments: