Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Google Logo Tweak: Sputnik

So Google recently tweaked its logo to mark the 50th anniversary of the Sputnik launch. I had no clue about what this logo tweak meant until reading it in the Los Angeles Times today. I consider myself a libertarian -- not so much a conservative -- but I also have my strong patriotic streak. I agree with the critics who have an issue with Google changing its logo to mark the Sputnik launch. I understand that Google is a global corporation. Reading the article, I've learned that Google has recognized other world events/holidays. I don't see a problem with that, but recognizing Sputnik seems to be going a bit far considering that the USSR isn't seen in a very positive light. I'm not saying this simply because they were a communist regime, but because of their repressiveness. Sputnik was after Lenin and Stalin, but it was during that era when people couldn't travel freely and there was a Cold War going on. I'm sure if I knew my USSR history better, I could list even more nasty things about this regime.

I am blogging on a Google blog site, but I have to say I think Google was wrong.

Notes from Vivace

No comments: