Sunday, October 28, 2007

Blue Star Saturday Night - observation on bands' set lengths

I've gone to a number of local music venues and have the sense that sets are supposed to be thirty minutes. Saturday night I saw a band that did a 45 minute set -- if not a little bit longer. The band before and the band after both stuck with the 30 minute format. I checked out the band's myspace page and it isn't like they have 10,000 myspace friends and therefore have the fan base that wants to hear them play more than a 30 minute set. In fact, they have only about 2,400 myspace friends. I admit not every band I've seen sticks with the 30 minute set and often a club has someone who gives hints to a band that its time is up. (Another caveat to this is that the last band up tends to go on a little long, as well. I think this might be driven by the fact that they are the last band and also I guess people feel it is owed them since often times half the audience has left for the night by that point in time.) Who knows, maybe this band at Blue Star was coordinating the night and therefore felt like going longer than 30 minutes. I did get the sense that the next band up was getting a bit antsy about wanting to get on stage.

Notes from Vivace

No comments: