Sunday, October 7, 2007

Eagle Rock Music Festival

I headed out to the Eagle Rock Music Festival in Los Angeles. This is the second year I've gone. I'd say last year was better. Last year I saw Great Northern and Monsters Are Waiting. I liked Great Northern. I fell in love with Monsters Are Waiting. This year I caught The Mormons, The Pity Party, Black Shakespeare, Virginia City Revival and Under the Influence of Giants.

The Mormons and Virginia City Revival sort of perform in a world that makes comedy of religion. The Mormons is obvious. The band members dress as Mormons on bikes. They also take another shot at Mormons as there is a guy who just stands back, smoking. Virginia City Revival makes fun of Southern Revival meetings. Both are a little much for me. VCR does have some great costumes. One guitar player plays in drag. The lead singer like a Southern preacher. I guess you should give them props for that.

The Pity Party is an interesting two piece band. One plays drums and keyboard at times. The other is on guitar. I wasn't the most impressed with this group, but it was interesting. There was a guy in the audience who was yelling out, "You suck." I'm not sure why you'd say that to a local band that plays gigs for free. It just seems rude. A security guard starting walking over, but the guy moved on.

I saw Black Shakespeare while eating. Interesting world music band. Sort of funk. Sort of African.

Under the Influence of Giants was the main draw. They're sort of a mellow rock group. The instrumentals aren't out front like other bands. I don't believe the drummer ever had his moment. This isn't criticism. It is just how the band works. Amazon.com classifies them as a funk band. I'm not sure if this matches them well. I enjoyed the band. There was a bit of fun regarding a light saber. And the lead singer took a dual role on the drum set. It was an interesting sight seeing two people playing the drums. It was a cool band to end the night with.

No comments: