Thursday, October 18, 2007

Depeche Mode's Blasphemous Rumours

This might be blasphemous, but I've always found this song encouraging.

Girl of sixteen, whole life ahead of her
Slashed her wrists, bored with life
Didn't succeed, thank the Lord . . .

Girl of eighteen, fell in love with everything
Found new life in Jesus Christ
Hit by a car, ended up
On a life support machine . . .

I don't want to start any blasphemous rumours
But I think that God's got a sick sense of humor
And when I die I expect to find Him laughing

I've read up a little on it before writing this blog, and learned that this song caused some controversy when it was released.

I believe lyrics/poems are left up to personal interpretation. The whole issue of attempted suicide out of despair and then finding God always touched me. Then the idea of the "sick sense of humor" always got me thinking that perhaps God gave this young girl a second chance. God wasn't responsible for her attempted suicide and God wasn't responsible for the car accident . . . but perhaps he intervened in her suicide attempt and when she got to Heaven he planned to tell her about it.

I'm sure that's a blasphemous interpretation.

I'm writing this post after hearing this song recently on the radio.

Notes from Vivace

No comments: