Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Duke Basketball vs. Wisconsin Badgers: 68 - 63

First off, what about my March Madness bracket.  I selected Kentucky as the champions, winning against Duke.  I am so happy I was wrong.  Where did that bracket finish in the March Madness pool I was in?  Number 38 out of 183.  Honestly, not that bad.  If Kentucky had won it all, I would have finished in the top 20.

On to the game:  This game was intense.  I think I almost blew out a shoulder by swinging my arms so wildly around during various moments of the 2nd half.  There was a moment during the 1st half when it really felt like Duke was going to build a solid 15 point lead.  It didn't happen.  Duke went up 23 - 17.  Then Jahlil Okafor turned the ball over.  Quinn Cook missed a three point shot.  Other things happened and by half time the score was tied 31 - 31.

Then the 2nd half started and for the first 7 minutes of the game it looked like Duke was going to end up down by 15 points.  With 13:23 left on the clock, Duke was down 48 - 39.  The fouls were also piling up on Jahlil Okafor and Justise Winslow.  At that point, both were on the bench.  In comes Grayson Allen to save the day, scoring 8 points in a span of just over 1 minute.  It took a little longer, but by the 7:05 mark, Duke had tied the score at 54 - 54.

Just amazing.

Noticed:  Yes, Justise Winslow touched that ball going out of bounds, but I'm not sure it would have mattered.  Duke was in the driver's seat.  I think they would have found a way to win anyways even if Wisconsin had scored after the correct call was made.  And what about that Tyus Jones play shortly afterwards where he missed a layup?  If Wisconsin had scored, Jones never would have done something like that.  Tyus was trying to put the game away for good.  I think if the score had tightened up, Duke would have played differently.

Marshall Plumlee threw up a couple crazy shots.  Honestly, I suspect that he had honed those shots against Jahlil Okafor in practice.  I suspect we'll be seeing those types of shots going in come next  year.

I saw the player's media session on ESPN.  Amile Jefferson didn't get a single question until the very end.  How can  reporters ignore someone who basically shut down Frank Kaminsky?  Sure, ask a lot of questions of Grayson Allen, but only one question for Amile Jefferson?  Crazy.

Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan ripped Duke and CBS called him classy after the interview.  Are you kidding me?  Bo Ryan owes Coach K and Duke an apology.

One thing mentioned after the game was that all the points for Duke in the 2nd half were scored by freshman.  Of course, if I recall right, Quinn Cook seriously injured his finger during the 1st half, which probably had something to do with his lack of scoring.

Great great game.  Better than the Duke-Butler game?  That Butler team was touch and there was that last moment miracle attempt.  I think both games are classics.
 








No comments: