Tuesday, April 28, 2015

A Movie Review: Furious 7

Furious 7.  Unlike the last two Fast and Furious movies, this one felt lacking.  Did I have fun during certain parts of this movie? Sure. Why did I not have as much fun in this one? Maybe I was just missing the Gal Gadot (Gisele) and Sung Kag (Han) love affair that I thought really put some heart into the last two films. I'm not saying that the Mia (Jordana Brewster) and Brian O'Conner (Paul Walker) love story is something to ignore, it is just that Jordana Brewster has largely been on the sidelines for many of the recent pics.

I think what really disturbed me was the God's Eye software. Why would borderline outlaws like Dominic Toretto and Brian O'Conner want anything to do with God's Eye even if this software allowed them to locate Deckard Shaw (Jason Statham) who killed one of their family members, Han? And why would Ramsey (Nathalie Emmanuel) the hacker also be so willing to allow the US government to have ownership of this. This is the last thing that should belong in the hands of the government. It drove me mad.

And there was at least one coincidence that went too far. Ramsey mails the thumb drive that has God's Eye to a friend who immediately sells it to a billionaire. Why exactly? It does set the scene for some awesome CGI sequences, but I think it is lazy writing so that those action sequences could get fit into the movie.

But what about those action sequences? Wow. Cars flying in the air from a plane and from building to building to building. Yeah.

As a note regarding Paul Walker: I have to admit, as the movie ended, my eyes did water up.




No comments: