Sunday, March 16, 2014

Cal Poly SLO Basketball vs. Cal State Northridge: 61-59

I don't watch Cal Poly basketball, but that doesn't mean I don't keep track of their season.  They played a tough non-conference schedule going up against Arizona, Oregon, Pittsburgh and Stanford.  This seemed to me that there was some confidence that the team had potential and that they could make a solid run in the conference (or perhaps I was thinking too much about horse racing and how a trainer might put their horse up against the top horses versus $8,000 claiming horses).  The conference season started off well enough and then the wheels seemed to fall apart.

The game started and I was excited.  The horrible season was starting to look like a miracle run to March Madness.  Cal Poly  had already beaten the number 1 and 2 teams of the conference:  UC Santa Barbara and UC Irvine.  And looking at the schedule, they'd  beaten Cal State Northridge twice -- though I always believe that it is always hard to beat a similarly talented team three straight.

As the game started, the announcers said defense was Cal Poly's strength.  And CSN quickly scored 4 points on that defense.  In response, CP kept on missing shots.  The 3s just wouldn't drop.  At the 16 minute mark, CP didn't look all that hot.  At the 14:30-ish mark, CP was down 15-5.  This was not looking good.  Their defense was not keeping the game close and their offense couldn't make a shot.  CP fell behind 21-10 before finally making some shots.  Their defense also started to look better and they ended up down just 29-25 at the half.

CP started the 2nd half scoring the first points and then tied it around the 18:50 mark and taking the lead at 18:30.  For awhile after that, both teams were missing shots.  Then Chris Eversley went for a dunk and I was thinking, this is the moment that CP pulls away; however, he got a technical foul and I was saying, "Why did you act that way?"

At the 13:11 mark, I think Brian Bennett made the shot of the game.  A nice fake and then the basket.  (Okay, Ridge Shipley's final three was awesome, but I think Brian Bennett's shot was just so classic.)

Come around the 7:30 mark, it really felt like CSN was going to start pulling away.  They were just going to the rim and scoring.  Then Ridge Shipley took over, hitting 3s.  The march towards victory was put into question during the 3 minute mark down to the 2 minute mark when CP made some crazy fouls that looked like they were playing tackle football, but Shipley made a final three.  A free throw at the end locked it down.

Question:  The final CP free throw missed at the 4 second mark.  Why didn't CSN call a quick timeout?  Four seconds is a decent amount of time.  A nice play could have been drawn up.  Yes, they'd need to go down the court, but I'd think you'd want to set up a play.

Question 2:  The announcers said that CSN has three top transfers coming into the program next year.  Now why would anyone want to live around Northridge?

Note:  It might be my imagination, but it seemed that there were more CP fans in the crowd.  While watching on television, the crowd looking rather sparse, but it did seem like more CP colors could be seen in the crowd.  Also, it seemed like I heard more cheering for CP.  I could be wrong.  I kind of wish I'd made the 1:30 hour Saturday afternoon drive down to Orange County.  On the other hand . . . I just didn't want to deal with bumper to bumper traffic on the 5 freeway.

I am happy that Cal Poly is going to the dance.  On the other hand, I do have to admit it is a little awkward that they're going to the dance with a 13-19 record.

No comments: