Saturday, March 22, 2014

Cal Poly and Duke Basketball: March Madness

Friday was a painful day.  Both my teams went under.  I didn't see either game as they played while I was at work, but I did keep track via ESPN.com.

The Cal Poly outcome was a forgone conclusion.  I personally don't believe Wichita St. is going to win March Madness (I have Florida winning it all), but that doesn't mean they aren't an elite team.  Within the first few minutes of the game as the scores updated, it was apparent that Cal Poly was toast.  It seemed like a very long period of time went by while they were stuck at 5.

As for Duke, I threw in the towel as the clock was at 5 minutes in the 2nd half.  I've seen this play out.  As folks have mentioned, Duke doesn't have "It."  My personal definition of "It."  They don't know how to stop the other team.  "It" is also when Andre Dawkins isn't able to hit the threes.  "It" is when their offense doesn't seem to rise to the occasion.

Next year:  hopefully for both teams.  Duke returning is almost a guarantee.  Cal Poly, let's hope I don't have to wait another 20 years.

No comments: