Thursday, March 20, 2014

A Movie Review: Captain Blood

Captain Blood. I've been watching some older movies recently.  I was scanning through TCM and saw that Captain Blood was being shown.  I haven't seen this movie in probably over a decade.  I decided to catch it again.  I remember just loving this movie when I was young.

What did I think about it on a re-watch.  During the last few minutes of this movie, I remember thinking:  I know exactly how it is going to end and I can't wait to see the final moments.

I have to admit that now with CGI the various action sequences in Captain Blood kind of make you giggle, but putting that aside this movie is a fun romp.  Errol Flynn does have a smooth, charismatic style.  

And is there a major blunder in this film?  I swear that when Captain Blood takes on fellow pirate Levasseur that you a) see Levasseur open his eyes after he is killed and b) that the same scene of the ocean waters coming over Levasseur is repeated twice.  I looked this up on IMDB and a mention of Levasseur's eyes blinking is listed as a mistake.




No comments: