Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Sometimes a morning starts off with complaints

This past Sunday, Easter, I'm driving to the Hollywood Farmers Market.  I come up to the dreaded Los Feliz/San Fernando intersection in Glendale.  There is a red light camera there.  I hate red light cameras, but I despise this one.  The problem is that the stoplight can switch from red to green to red in less than 10 seconds (maybe it is less than 5 seconds).  You can be the third car at the red light and as you're entering the intersection, the light turns from yellow to red.  Both roads are four lane roads so it takes a few seconds to get through the intersection when you're driving at five miles an hour.  I did look up Glendale's red light camera policy and know that if you're in the intersection when the lights turn yellow that you don't need to worry about a ticket, but it is just so irritating that they put a red light camera at this spot where the stoplight doesn't even allow for three cars to go through before switching back to red.  It just feels like a ticket trap.

After doing my Farmers Market shopping, I walked back to my car and noticed a couple Metro employees hanging around.  Their Metro vehicle:  a GMC Yukon.  And you wonder why Los Angeles is broke.

Next up was the gas station.  A driver decides to pull up at the very first gas pump instead of the further open gas pump.  Now I ask:  isn't it common courtesy to pull up to the furthest open pump so that another driver can just pull up behind you?