Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Movie Review: Chronicle

Chronicle. This movie is about three high school guys who gain telekinetic powers after a brief encounter with an object that one assumes is alien. We have Andrew Detmer (Dane DeHaan) who is an outsider, bullied by his classmates and his father. There is Matt Garetty (Alex Russell), a philosophical driven young man, who seems to occupy a space as the semi-cool high school kid, not overly popular, but well liked. And finally we have Steve Montgomery (Michael B. Jordan) who is the sports star who wants a career in politics and so is running for class president.

I tend to avoid high school centered movies. I’m older and really can’t relate, but the critics loved this movie so I decided to take a chance on it – it also had that Sci-Fi genre label, which I can be a sucker for at times. I really enjoyed this movie even though I feel it had some flaws. I felt the outcome was obvious.  You know immediately that if anyone will abuse their new found powers it will be Andrew. A more interesting scenario might have been Matt abusing his power, reasoning his way through his philosophical mind about why it all made sense to do so.  Also, I just couldn't see these three individuals ever getting along as friends.  I could see Steve and Matt fitting in well together. Steve is the politician. Matt could be his voice of reason, the chief of staff type. Andrew just didn’t seem to have the personality that would fit in well with Steve and yet the two seemed to gel well together.

But who cares about those complaints. This movie brings a wonderful mix of Heroes and X-Men.
And the sequel: I’m sure the alien contraption passed along powers that the three haven’t totally explored yet even if the ending appeared somewhat conclusive on the matter.

No comments: