Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A Movie Review: Where the Wild Things Are

"Where the Wild Things Are". This is a movie that didn’t have to be made. It is a movie about nothing in my opinion. Yes, there are the underlying currents about feelings of rejection, about wanting to ignore pain and replacing it with constant fun. These are important concepts, but it is all wrapped around a movie where a boy goes on an imaginary adventure that really didn’t inspire me. He gets on a boat. He ends up on an island. He runs into some wild things who make him king. They play for awhile. He decides it is time to go home. It is a nice tale for a children’s book, but I’m not sure it makes for a good movie.

Note: Is it too scary for children? Obviously, I'm way pass my childhood years, but in my opinion -- no, it isn't too scary. Is it potentially too boring for children? Yes.

No comments: