Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Smell to see The Mo-odds

So after seeing No Age briefly at the Eagle Rock Music Festival, I found myself with the urge to go to The Smell. I'd checked out The Smell a little over a year ago and just never made it back. Since The Mo-odds were playing there Monday night, I decided this was the perfect time to head on over.

The first band of the night was De Hombres. Now this band got off to a rough start. Their bass player wasn't around. I don't know the situation, but it did feel like the guitarist was a bit pissed. The guitarist got the bass ready and was just hoping that the bass player would show. Each time the door opened, he'd look to see if their band mate was going to show. No luck. They decided to go on as a two piece, the guitarist and drummer. Good for them. Just when they decided they'd close out with two last songs, the bass player walked it. He just strolled up and picked up his bass. No apologies or nothing. And then as soon as the set was finished, he walked out. I wonder what the situation was with that.





The second band of the night, on the second stage, was Sad Horse. They're an actual two piece band (unlike De Hombres) from Portland, Oregon. They're on tour with the third band, which was called The Bugs. Sad Horse had a rather tight set and were perhaps the most appreciated band of the night. With a gal on drums and a guy on guitar, they switched vocal leads during the set though the guitarist took most of the vocals -- if I recall correctly. The Bugs was also a two piece band. The interesting note here being that they'd switch off between drums and guitar.










The last band of the night was The Mo-odds. Always cool to catch them. Their lead singer is one of the more energetic guys out there.

And I have to give props to the $1 soy-vegan soft tacos. Mercy. I have to say those are the best tacos I've ever had. I have to say it is worth going to The Smell just for those tacos.





1 comment:

djpinklady said...

right on. the mo-odds rule.