Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Michael Crichton's Airframe: Book Review

I recently read an old Michael Crichton called “Airframe.” It was written back in 1996. The story plot, if one doesn’t already know, starts with a midair airplane disaster. The pilot is able to land the plane, but a handful of individuals have died and many are injured. The story then deals with the aftermath – the investigation by the manufacturer, the press interest in the story, etc.

This book actually took longer for me to read than I thought it would when I started. Work took up some time for a couple weeks. Then there is my blogging addiction. And then there are all those television shows I’m watching.

So what did I think of the book? I’ll give it an average grade when compared to other literature. I’ll admit that I don’t think of Michael Crichton as a fabulous writer (I feel the same way about John Grisham.) I just read him, because he’s quick and provides you with some mindless entertainment. To me, it is like watching Everyone Loves Raymond while eating dinner. Did it fit the bill of mindless entertainment? Yes, it did. Of the recent Crichton books I’ve read, I’d say it was one of the better ones – compared to State of Fear, Next and Timeline.

Now why did it take me so long to get around to reading this book when I’ve obviously read many of his more recent ones? I got this book about five years ago when someone left it on the “take-it-if-you-want-it” counter at work. For some reason, I just never got around to it until this year.

No comments: