Sunday, October 11, 2009

A Book Review: The Lost Symbol

Includes major spoiler info. The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. I was looking forward to this book. I wanted some nice quick escapism. I also was reading some decent book reviews, which only increased my anticipation.

As I started to read the book, I really got into it. There were a number of interesting facts that came out such as Washington D.C. at one time being called Rome and that there was an Internal Flame inside the Capital Building. Then some warning signs started to pop up. The character Mal'Akh, the antagonist, started to get into these mystical theories of power. I started to wonder if this book was going to explore mystical powers, which I found just a bit irritated. But I figured it was just his deranged thinking, so it didn't concern me too much.

Then I got closer to the end of the book and got this sense that a great disappointment was about to arrive. The point of the book was to unravel a Mason pyramid. The pyramid's hidden message was getting solved throughout the book, piece by piece. With about 20 pages from the end, I knew that there just wasn't enough time to wrap things up and explain a rather explosion revelation that would make sense in the context of the book. And so to my great disappointment, the great symbol that would save mankind was . . . the Holy Bible. There was some talk about how the Holy Bible had secret coding written into it that would save mankind, but this conclusion had a been there, done there feel as there is already a book out there called the The Bible Code. I never read this book, but I'm sure it is a similar storyline as that that ended The Lost Symbol.

So to end it: after spending three weeks reading this book, I felt like I'd wasted my time.

No comments: